Rainbow Mountain Trek
Hike Vinicunca Full Day, also called Rainbow Mountain Trek or Mountain of Colors and known by the inhabitants as Cerro Colorado, is a great alternative to enjoy mountains and snowy, its colors is due to the amount of minerals it is composed this mountain.
Rainbow Mountain Tour is located in the mountain range of the Vilcanota, located on the road to the majestic Ausangate, in the peasant community of Pampachiri, which borders the Pitumarca and Cusipata districts, in the region of Cusco, Peru.
Mineralogical Composition of Rainbow Mountain
The extraordinary colors are due to the mineralogical composition, product of geological formations that own this mountain and after studies realized, it is known that the colors of must to the presence of:
- Pink color: it is for the red clay, fangolitas (mud) and arilitas (sand).
- Whitish color: white quartz sandstone.
- Brown and purple brown colors: it is for limonites and marls, rich in calcium carbonate.
- Red color: it is by the arcilitas (iron) and clays belonging to the superior tertiary.
- Green color: it is composed of phyllites and clays rich in magnesian iron.
- Brown earthy color: it is a product of the rock-manganese compound of the quaternary era.
- Mustard yellow color: it is for calcareous sandstones rich in sulphide minerals.
Rainbow Mountain Trek Information
- Duration of the trek: 6 to 7 hrs.
- Walking distance: 15 kilometers on average.
- Season: March to December.
- Maximum height: 5200 masl (16732.28ft).
- Level of the walk: Difficult.
Rainbow Mountain or Vinicunca Full Day Itinerary
The walk to the Rainbow Mountain Tour is without a doubt an extraordinary experience, where every effort to reach the destination is rewarded by the fabulous views, during the tour and when you reach the mountain, one is out of breath, not only by the height but for the beauty of landscape.
We start very early in the morning, we pass by your hotel between 03:00 and 03:30 am, starting our trip to the community of Pampachiri, which is south of Cusco, this tour in tourist transport lasts approximately 3 to 4 hours.
During the tour we will pass through the town of Checacupe, then Pitumarka, here we will take our breakfast and the guide will provide the necessary specifications to continue to Rainbow Mountain Tour, after 30 minutes more in transport, we will arrive at Pampachiri / Quechuyno, which is the end of road and start of our trek.
We will be at the foot of the Ausangate Snow Mountain, the ascent to the mountain will be on average of 3 to 4 hours, taking into account the pace of walk that has the passenger.
If the road becomes very difficult, you have the option of taking the services of a saddle horse, since the residents of the community are organized to provide this service.
When arriving at the mountain of colors, we will take a time of rest and time so that you can take all the necessary pictures of this beautiful landscape, do not forget that I manage to ascend to 5,200 masl (16732.28ft), being at the top, I will remember that everything the effort made to get there will be worth it.
After a prudent time at the top, we will begin the descent along the same road, since all the way is downhill, the walking time will be shorter, between 02:30 to 03:00 hours, reaching the starting point of the (Quechuyno / Pampachiri), we will continue our transport to the village of Pitumarka, here we will make another stop to take our lunch, if you are a vegetarian, it is no problem, just let us know in advance.
At the end of lunch, we will continue with the transportation to the city of Cusco, arriving between 18:00 and 19:00 hours approximately, our mobility will leave it close to main square of Cusco, ending our services.
Included / Not included
- Pick up from your hotel.
- Professional route guide.
- Tourist transportation Cusco to Quechuyno / Quechuyno- Cusco (beginning of Rainbow Mountain Tour).
- Meals (1 breakfast, 1 lunch).
- First-aid kit, emergency oxygen.
- Extras not mentioned.
- Income of 10 soles.